This article begins a series of tutorials covering the very basics of using WordPress. In this part 1 of the series, you will learn how to log in to your WordPress-powered site. Estimated time required: 5 minutes.
How to log in to WordPress
To login to the WordPress Administration area (aka, the WP Admin Area), follow these steps:
- 1. Go to the Admin Login screen
- Go to the WordPress login screen, generally located at
http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/(note: if WordPress has been installed in a subdirectory, the login screen should be located at
- 2. Enter your username and password
- The Admin screen presents two text fields: one for your username and one for your password. Enter each accordingly (note: make sure that caps lock is off, as the information is case-sensitive).
- 3. Set the “Remember Me” option
- If you would like WordPress to remember your login information to make it easier next time, check the “Remember Me” option before clicking the Login button (note: anyone who has access to your computer will be able to login as you if this option is selected — not recommended for public computers! use with caution).
- 4. Click the Login button
- After entering your login information and making a choice concerning the “Remember Me” option, click the “Login” button to gain access to the WordPress Admin area.
- 5. Success!
- If you were successful logging in to the WordPress Admin area, you will be greeted by the WordPress Dashboard, which presents a neat summary of both internal (your blog) and external (WP news) WordPress information.
Next up in the WordPress Basics series, Publishing Posts via the WP Admin »