Nah. It’s not a real dungeon or anything weird. The “Dungeon” is just a place where I put all the cool “meta” stuff about the site. The name “Dungeon” started as an inside joke back in 2005 (based on the old Black Tiger video game), and just kinda stuck. Here in the Dungeon, you will find everything from software and plugins used to official site policy and statistics. Plus a whole lot of other stuff, like where I’ve been published or interviewed, online friends, guest posts, current projects, validation links and more. So lurk around a bit and discover some of the inner workings of Perishable Press..
Tools of the trade
Perishable Press would not be possible without the excellent resources, information, and tools graciously developed and shared by the incredible open-source community. Everything needed to operate Perishable Press is 100% free:
- Linux — an open-source operating system based on UNIX
- Apache — the most popular HTTP server on the Internet
- PHP — general-purpose server-side scripting language
- MySQL — the world’s most popular open-source database
- HTML — standard markup language used to create web pages
- CSS — coding language used to style web pages
- WordPress — the world’s leading publishing platform
- Firefox — an extensible open-source browser
- Chrome — an extensible open-source browser
- Opera — an extensible open-source browser
..plus many more amazing apps and tools — too many to name them all!
Working list of interviews..
- Chilled Interview at Cloudways
- Habits, Skills, And Tools Of 10 World-Class WordPress Developers
- In-Depth Interview at PSDtoWP.net
- Interview at CSS-Tricks
- Shoptalk Interview by Chris Coyier
- Interview at imjustcreative.com
- Interview at BloggingPro.com
- Mastering WordPress with Jeff Starr
- Blogger Interview: 5 Hosting Questions with Jeff Starr
- Interview at Clark College Magazine
- Jeff Starr – WordPress Guru
- Interview at MyInkBlog
- Interview by Paul Maloney at WPZine
- Interview by Michael James at Web Hosting Cat
Working list of guest posts..
- Guest Post at WordPress Advent Calendar 2013
- ProBlogger guest-post: Awesome Plugins
- ProBlogger guest-post: Ajaxify your WordPress
- ProBlogger guest-post: WordPress RSS Feeds
- Guest Post at the Nexus: Dealing with Google’s New Nofollow Policy
- Guest Post at Six Revisions: Definitive Guide to Taming the IE6 Beast
- Guest Post at Six Revisions: Rich-Text Editors for 2010 and Beyond
Working list of featured articles..
- 16 WordPress experts share insight about WordPress Calypso
- Developing Secure WordPress Sites – Video/Screencast Series
- CMS Security Handbook (Book)
- Joomla! Web Security (Book)
- WordPress Article (side content) – .net Magazine
- WordPress 3 Feature Article – .net Magazine
- WordPress on MAMP Tutorial – .net Magazine
- 28 Time Saving Hacks for WordPress Users (From the Experts)
- Clean Code Guidelines at Smashing Magazine
- 6 WordPress Experts You Need to be Following
- 30 Experts Share Top Non-Obvious WordPress Plugins
- 56 Experts reveal 3 beloved front-end development tools
- Best web design software and graphic design software revealed by 126 designers
- The best WordPress plugins revealed by 39 WordPress enthusiasts
- The Best Web Design Resources According to 82 Designers
- Top 100 WordPress People to Follow on Twitter
- WordPress 3.0 for Web Designers
- The Future of WordPress?
- CSS Based
- Featured at Planet WordPress
Some of the incredible people I’ve worked with online..
- Chris Coyier
- Vitaly Friedman
- Graham Smith
- Aldo Latino
- Ajay D’Souza
- Aaron Bazinet
- Stephen Cronin
- Steve Taylor
- Terry Mun
Not an exhaustive list! Just too many amazing folks to list them all!
Current sites & projects
Here is a list of my current online projects..
- Perishable Press
- Perishable Press serves to define and highlight ideas, consolidate and integrate projects, and organize and express the myriad happenings unfolding throughout my vast creative empire. You are here.
- Perishable Press Books
- Perishable Press Books is where I sell digital copies of my web-development books. There you can find sweet deals on Digging Into WordPress, The Tao of WordPress, WordPress Themes In Depth, and .htaccess made easy. Eventually the bookstore site will be integrated with this site, Perishable Press.
- Plugin Planet
- In addition to my growing collection of free WordPress plugins, I also develop and maintain a small collection of premium WordPress plugins at my site, Plugin Planet. There you will find Pro versions of my plugins, BBQ, Blackhole for Bad Bots, and my latest security plugin, Banhammer.
- Digging Into WordPress
- Co-author Chris Coyier and I help you get the most out of WordPress with our book, Digging Into WordPress, and its official companion site, DigWP.com. This project began late 2008 and has helped many people take their WordPress skills to the next level. And it’s a lot of fun too ;)
- .htaccess made easy
- Exclusive book (and website) covering everything you need to know about .htaccess. Written in clear, concise language with hundreds of awesome techniques and practical examples. Tighten site security. Boost performance. Fine-tune traffic and maximize SEO.
- Monzilla Media
- Established in 2007, MonzillaMedia.com is the official website for my web-development business. There, I offer services such as web design and development, improving site security, optimizing traffic for search engines, and everything in between. From small sites to multi-million dollar projects, Monzilla Media strives to develop high-quality web and new media solutions.
- Launched in December of 2012, WP-Mix is a flow of high-quality code, snippets, and tutorials to help with WordPress development and web design in general. The site itself is designed with xy.css, so it’s responsive and sticks to a virtual CSS matrix (vertical & horizontal grid). WP-Mix is one of my favorite projects.
- A place for collected images, random photos, and lots of random nonsense. The site includes a private chat forum and file-upload feature, so members can hang out and chat, upload images, and watch the updates in real-time right there on the screen. It’s a lot of fun, and basically where I go to chill out and relax online.
- shapeSpace is my own starter theme template. I’ve been using shapeSpace for several years now, carefully refining and improving the template along with my growing skills and experience. shapeSpace is used to build WP themes for Perishable Press, Plugin Planet, Digging Into WordPress, and most of my other WordPress-powered sites.
Perishable Press has been online since September(ish) 2005. Since that time, the site has grown tremendously. Here is a current summary of some of the site’s vital statistics. Stats generated by the WordPress plugin, Simple Blog Stats.
- 18 pages
- 861 posts
- 12,214 comments
- 9 post authors
- 19 categories
- 4,804 commentators
- 380,817 total downloads (includes all themes, plugins, scripts, etc.)
These are the people that help make Perishable Press possible by delivering fresh, home-cooked tutorials, articles, news, and other information.
- Bill Brown (3)
- Brian Franklin (1)
- Dénes Kn (1)
- Erika Kendall (1)
- Jeff Starr (850)
- Jon Brown (1)
- Michael Roach (1)
- Narayan Prusty (1)
- Russell Taylor (2)
We strive for 100% valid, standards-based HTML and CSS. Here are some free online services for evaluating standards compliance..
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. — John 3:16 (KJV)