This is where I put everything that is related to the operation of the Perishable Press website. The name “Dungeon” started as a joke back in 2005 (based on the old Black Tiger video game), and just kinda stuck around, mostly because I am too lazy to change it to something else. Here you will find everything from software and plugins used to official site policy and statistics. Plus a whole lot of other stuff, like where I’ve been published, online friends, guest posts, validation links and more. So lurk around a bit and learn a discover some of the inner workings of Perishable Press..
Tools of the trade
Perishable Press would not be possible without the excellent resources, information and tools graciously provided by the incredible open-source community.
- Apache is the most popular HTTP server on the Internet
- PHP is a general-purpose server-side scripting language
- MySQL is the world’s most popular open-source database
- WordPress is the world’s leading publishing platform
- Firefox is an extendable open-source browser
- Chrome is an extendable open-source browser
- Chilled Interview at Cloudways
- Habits, Skills, And Tools Of 10 World-Class WordPress Developers
- In-Depth Interview at PSDtoWP.net
- Interview at CSS-Tricks
- Shoptalk Interview by Chris Coyier
- Interview at imjustcreative.com
- Interview at BloggingPro.com
- Mastering WordPress with Jeff Starr
- Blogger Interview: 5 Hosting Questions with Jeff Starr
- Interview at Clark College Magazine
- Jeff Starr – WordPress Guru
- Interview at MyInkBlog
- Interview by Paul Maloney at WPZine
- Interview by Michael James at Web Hosting Cat
- Guest Post at WordPress Advent Calendar 2013
- ProBlogger guest-post: Awesome Plugins
- ProBlogger guest-post: Ajaxify your WordPress
- ProBlogger guest-post: WordPress RSS Feeds
- Guest Post at the Nexus: Dealing with Google’s New Nofollow Policy
- Guest Post at Six Revisions: Definitive Guide to Taming the IE6 Beast
- Guest Post at Six Revisions: Rich-Text Editors for 2010 and Beyond
- 16 WordPress experts share insight about WordPress Calypso
- Developing Secure WordPress Sites – Video/Screencast Series
- CMS Security Handbook (Book)
- Joomla! Web Security (Book)
- WordPress Article (side content) – .net Magazine
- WordPress 3 Feature Article – .net Magazine
- WordPress on MAMP Tutorial – .net Magazine
- 28 Time Saving Hacks for WordPress Users (From the Experts)
- Clean Code Guidelines at Smashing Magazine
- 6 WordPress Experts You Need to be Following
- 30 Experts Share Top Non-Obvious WordPress Plugins
- The Best WordPress Plugins Recommended by The Experts
- 56 Experts reveal 3 beloved front-end development tools
- Best web design software and graphic design software revealed by 126 designers
- The best WordPress plugins revealed by 39 WordPress enthusiasts
- The Best Web Design Resources According to 82 Designers
- Top 100 WordPress People to Follow on Twitter
- WordPress 3.0 for Web Designers
- The Future of WordPress?
- CSS Based
- Featured at Planet WordPress
- Thane Champie
- Chris Palmen
- Chris Coyier
- Vitaly Friedman
- Graham Smith
- Aldo Latino
- Ajay D’Souza
- Aaron Bazinet
- Stephen Cronin
- Steve Taylor
- Terry Mun
Current sites & projects
- Perishable Press
- WordPress, web design, code & tutorials. And everything in between.
- 100% free & open-source WordPress starter theme template.
- Plugin Planet
- Premium WordPress Plugins.
- The Tao of WordPress
- Complete guide for users, admins, students, designers, and everyone.
- WordPress Themes In Depth
- Dive deep into WordPress theme development with over 450 pages of practical theme-building techniques, tricks, and tips.
- Digging into WordPress
- Co-author Chris Coyier and I help you get the most out of WordPress.
- .htaccess made easy
- Improve the performance and security of your site with Apache’s .htaccess.
- WP-Mix is a flow of high-quality code snippets for designers & developers.
- Monzilla Media
- Established in 2007, Monzilla Media is all about high-quality design.
- xyCSS is a CSS template for responsive liquid matrix design.
- CSSresetr lets you experiment with CSS resets on live web pages.
- A place for collected images, random photos, and lots of random nonsense.
Perishable Press has been online since September(ish) 2005. Since that time, the site has grown tremendously. Here is a current summary of some of the site’s vital statistics (generated by the BlogStats PCC plugin for WordPress).
- 15 pages
- 805 posts
- 11968 comments
- 9 post authors
- 19 categories
- 4736 commentators
- 338647 total downloads (includes all themes, plugins, scripts, etc.)
Follow Jeff on Twitter
These are the people that help make Perishable Press possible by delivering fresh, home-cooked tutorials, articles, news, and other information.
- Bill Brown (3)
- Brian Franklin (1)
- Dénes Kn (1)
- Erika Kendall (1)
- Jeff Starr (794)
- Jon Brown (1)
- Michael Roach (1)
- Narayan Prusty (1)
- Russell Taylor (2)
WordPress plugins used
These freely available WordPress plugins bring much-needed functionality, useful features, and subtle enhancements to the growing number of user-selectable themes currently available at Perishable Press.
- Akismet Anti-Spam (v. 4.0.2) by Automattic.
- Better Art Direction (v. 1.0) by David Rupert.
- Code Auto Escape (v. 2.0) by Priyadi Iman Nurcahyo.
- Dashboard Widgets Suite (v. 1.6) by Jeff Starr.
- Disable Embeds (v. 1.3.0) by Pascal Birchler.
- Disable Emojis (v. 1.7) by Ryan Hellyer.
- Disable Responsive Images Complete (v. 1.0) by Jeff Starr.
- Disable WP REST API (v. 1.1) by Jeff Starr.
- Download Monitor (v. 4.0.3) by Never5.
- Google XML Sitemaps (v. 4.0.9) by Arne Brachhold.
- Latest Tweets Widget (v. 1.1.4) by Tim Whitlock.
- Simple Basic Contact Form (v. 20171103) by Jeff Starr.
- Simple Local Avatars (v. 2.0) by Jake Goldman, 10up.
- Subscribe To Comments (v. 2.3) by Mark Jaquith.
- UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore (v. 1.14.3) by UpdraftPlus.Com, DavidAnderson.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (v. 4.4) by Adknowledge.
This design was coded by hand in a text editor, but that doesn’t mean that shouldn’t validate. Let’s see how the home page measures up..
Official Site Policy
All content presented via Perishable Press enjoys perpetual copyright via its respective authors, unless specifically indicated otherwise. No portion of this website may be used for any purpose without explicit, written permission. Further, all comments presented via this website reflect the personal opinions of individuals. No guarantee concerning the validity, provenance, or any other aspect of such comments is implied or explicitly stated. Finally, Perishable Press is in no way responsible for any externally linked content. Surf at your own risk.
- Comment Policy
- Accessibility Statement
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Link to Perishable Press
- About Perishable Press
- Search (direct or via Google)
- Contact Jeff Starr
- Site Archives
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. — John 3:16 (KJV)