Digital units and their relative capacities1:
- Byte: (100 bytes)
- A single digital character.
- Kilobyte: (103 bytes)
- A small page of digital text.
- Megabyte: (106 bytes)
- A small novel, or a screen-resolution digital image.
- Gigabyte: (109 bytes)
- A symphony in hi-fi sound, or a pickup truck filled with paper.
- Terabyte: (1012 bytes)
- One-tenth of the printed collection of the Library of Congress.
- Petabyte: (1015 bytes)
- All of the email produced in the world in one day, or about a half-million hours worth of television.
- Exabyte: (1018 bytes)
- Two exabytes estimated to be all the information generated worldwide in one year; five exabytes, all the words ever spoken by human beings.
- Zettabyte: (1021 bytes)
- Oprah Winfrey’s annual salary.
- Yottabyte: (1024 bytes)
- 1 Source: UC Berkeley
About the Author
Jeff Starr = Web Developer. Book Author. Secretly Important.