For those not familiar, here is a quick screenshot that shows how it works:
No suitable alternatives (yet)
- Errator — ghost town, only a few users and no reviews
- JS Error Notification — kinda weird, few users and only one review
Replace with unpacked extension
- Download the extension (ZIP file) via GitHub
- Unzip the file to get the extension folder,
- Move the folder to a permanent location (e.g.,
- Open Chrome browser, in the address bar visit
- Click to toggle “Developer mode” (upper-right corner)
- Click “Load unpacked” from the top menu buttons
- Choose the extension folder,
- Click “Select” and done.
After selecting the folder, it immediately will appear among your other extensions:
I’ve been running the extension this way for a couple of weeks and it’s working beautifully. A few notes to keep in mind:
- The extension will break if you move the folder after install
- After installing, you can check for errors by clicking the “Errors” button
- At this time, there is only one error: “Manifest version 2 is deprecated, and support will be removed in 2023.” Not a huge deal really.
A lot of people use this extension, so hopefully someone will pick it up, fork, or whatever is needed to keep it alive and awesome.