The overly dramatic process of transferring our Online Empire to a new server and then back again manifests several valuable lessons. Please look back your note and observe the following suggestions during any future server migration and/or domain propagation events…
- Backup everything and take notes throughout the migration process.
- Always take plenty of time to research the new host before signing up.
- Contact the host before signup. Ask questions. Submit tickets. Test ’em!
- Check the speed of the new host before signup.
- After signup, check out the server, options, configuration, tutorials, etc.
- Don’t spend time working on the new server until you are 100% satisfied.
- Do not cancel service with your previous host until you are 100% satisfied with the new host.
- Update the DNS for each of your domains.
- After switching, don’t cancel the old account until after the migration.
- Create accounts for all domains on the new server and transfer files, etc.
- Check DNS propagation (usually takes 1–72 hours).
- Notes on Switching Servers
- Server Migration Details
- Perishable Press Server Migration
- More Server Drama
- Even More Server Drama