This is where I put everything that is related to the operation of the Perishable Press website. The name “Dungeon” started as a joke back in 2005 (based on the old Black Tiger video game), and just kinda stuck around, mostly because I am too lazy to change it to something else. Here you will find everything from software and plugins used to official site policy and statistics. Plus a whole lot of other stuff, like where I’ve been published, online friends, guest posts, validation links and more. So lurk around a bit and learn a discover some of the inner workings of Perishable Press..
Tools of the trade
Perishable Press would not be possible without the excellent resources, information and tools graciously provided by the incredible open-source community.
- Apache is the most popular HTTP server on the Internet
- PHP is a general-purpose server-side scripting language
- MySQL is the world’s most popular open-source database
- WordPress is the world’s leading publishing platform
- Firefox is an extendable open-source browser
- Chrome is an extendable open-source browser
Perishable Press is hosted at Media Temple on a (dv) server.
- Ajay D’Souza
- Alex Denning
- Chris Coyier
- Chris Palmen
- Chris Roane
- Daniel Pataki
- Graham Smith
- Jean-Baptiste Jung
- Kim Woodbridge
- Rick Beckman
- Stephen Cronin
- Steve Taylor
- Terry Mun
- Thane Champie
- Vitaly Friedman
Featured at these fine locations..
- Developing Secure WordPress Sites – Video/Screencast Series
- Joomla! Web Security (Book)
- CMS Security Handbook (Book)
- WordPress 3 Feature Article – .net Magazine
- WordPress on MAMP Tutorial – .net Magazine
- Interview at imjustcreative.com
- Interview at BloggingPro.com
- Interview at MyInkBlog
- Interviewed for Think Vitamin article
- Interview by Chris Coyier at CSS-Tricks
- Shoptalk Interview by Chris Coyier
- Guest Post at the Nexus: Dealing with Google’s New Nofollow Policy
- Guest Post at Six Revisions
- ProBlogger guest-post: Awesome Plugins
- ProBlogger guest-post: Ajaxify your WordPress
- ProBlogger guest-post: WordPress RSS Feeds
- Why WordPress? – Interview at wpshout.com
- Interview by Paul Maloney at WPZine
- Planet WordPress
- 9rules Network
- CSS Perk
- CSS Based
- CSS Breeze
- Designer Source
- Best CSS Designs
- CLD Web Gallery
- 28 Time Saving Hacks for WordPress Users (From the Experts)
- Create private notes and members-only content
Current sites & projects
- Perishable Press
- WordPress, web design, code & tutorials. And everything in between.
- The Tao of WordPress
- Complete guide for users, admins, students, designers, and everyone.
- Digging into WordPress
- Co-author Chris Coyier and I help you get the most out of WordPress.
- .htaccess made easy
- Book about .htaccess. Learn everything you need to know about .htaccess.
- Monzilla Media
- Established in 2007, Monzilla Media is all about high-quality design.
xy.cssis a CSS template for responsive liquid matrix design.
- WP-Mix is a flow of high-quality code snippets for designers & developers.
- CSSresetr lets you experiment with CSS resets on live web pages.
- A place for collected images, random photos, and lots of random nonsense.
Perishable Press has been online since September(ish) 2005. Since that time, the site has grown tremendously. Here is a current summary of some of the site’s vital statistics (generated by the BlogStats PCC plugin for WordPress).
- 14 pages
- 933 posts
- 19 categories
- 11,776 comments
- 4641 commentators
- 7 post authors
- 235877 total downloads (themes, plugins, scripts, etc.)
- Subscribe to Perishable Press via Feedburner (Note! Feedburner stats these days unfortunately are very unreliable, fluctuating by thousands on a daily basis. FWIW my feed subscriber count closely parallels my Twitter follower count.)
- Follow @perishable
- Follow @perishable on Twitter for news, tips, and occasional randomness :)
These are the people that help make Perishable Press possible by delivering fresh, home-cooked tutorials, articles, news, and other information.
- Bill Brown (3)
- Brian Franklin (1)
- Erika Kendall (1)
- Jeff Starr (794)
- Jon Brown (1)
- Michael Roach (1)
- Russell Taylor (2)
WordPress plugins used
These freely available WordPress plugins bring much-needed functionality, useful features, and subtle enhancements to the growing number of user-selectable themes currently available at Perishable Press.
- Akismet (v. 3.0.2) by Automattic.
- Better Art Direction (v. 1.0) by David Rupert.
- Broken Link Checker (v. 184.108.40.206) by Janis Elsts.
- Code Auto Escape (v. 2.0) by Priyadi Iman Nurcahyo.
- Download Monitor (v. 1.5.1) by Mike Jolley.
- Google XML Sitemaps (v. 4.0.7) by Arne Brachhold.
- Latest Tweets Widget (v. 1.1.2) by Tim Whitlock.
- Simple Basic Contact Form (v. 20140305) by Jeff Starr.
- Simple Local Avatars (v. 2.0) by Jake Goldman, 10up.
- Subscribe To Comments (v. 2.1.2) by Mark Jaquith.
- WP-Cleanup (v. 1.1.0) by JortK.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (v. 4.2.2) by Adknowledge.
This design was coded by hand in a text editor, but that doesn’t mean that shouldn’t validate. Let’s see how the home page measures up..
Official Site Policy
All content presented via Perishable Press enjoys perpetual copyright via its respective authors, unless specifically indicated otherwise. No portion of this website may be used for any purpose without explicit, written permission. Further, all comments presented via this website reflect the personal opinions of individuals. No guarantee concerning the validity, provenance, or any other aspect of such comments is implied or explicitly stated. Finally, Perishable Press is in no way responsible for any externally linked content. Surf at your own risk.
- Comment Policy
- Accessibility Statement
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Link to Perishable Press
- About Perishable Press
- Search (direct or via Google)
- Contact Jeff Starr
- Site Archives
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. — John 3:16 (KJV)