Update (May 2011) – New screencast available on how to login to the WordPress Admin using version 3.1.2 (current). The article below may still be useful, but is quite old now and refers to an earlier version of WordPress.
Note: This article begins a series of tutorials covering the very basics of using WordPress.
To login to the WordPress (WP) Administration area, follow these steps:
- 1. Go to the Admin Login screen
- Go to the WordPress login screen, generally located at
http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/(note: if WordPress has been installed in a subdirectory, the login screen should be located at
- 2. Enter your username and password
- The Admin screen presents two text fields: one for your username and one for your password. Enter each accordingly (note: make sure that caps lock is off, as the information is case-sensitive).
- 3. Set the "Remember Me" option
- If you would like WordPress to remember your login information to make it easier next time, check the "Remember Me" option before clicking the Login button (note: anyone who has access to your computer will be able to login as you if this option is selected — not recommended for public computers! use with caution).
- 4. Click the Login button
- After entering your login information and making a choice concerning the "Remember Me" option, click the "Login »" button to gain access to the WordPress Admin area.
- 5. Success!
- If you were successful logging in to the WordPress Admin area, you will be greeted by the WordPress "Dashboard", which presents a neat summary of both internal (your blog) and external (WP news) WordPress information.
Next up in the WordPress Basics series, Publishing Posts via the WP Admin »